Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 22)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried....turning it off and on again? doing a hard reset of the router? checking for loose wires?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, just re-read the page and it says

quote:

We have identified the following software firewall(s) as being incompatible with the use of the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector. We suggest using another firewall product, if possible:

Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite

So as I'm not using that it must be a different problem. God knows. It's error 220602 though and I've followed the information they have about that. Bleh. I guess I'll never get to play mario strikers online
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just turn it all off and go outside mate
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My connection has dropped out after updates, but then unplugging it and plugging it in again seems to sort it out. Not that I've turned it on for a while.
Ringo

Actually I had problems with mine a couple of times where it inexplicably wouldn't connect to my gateway until i cycled the power on both the gateway and the Wii, then it would pick it up again.

Wireless networks are just shitty unreliable crap which now gives you cancer too. The Wii's lack of wired network support is pretty shocking I think.

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
I thought you were a game fan, Benway? Why would you want them to make a version which isn't as good as they wanted it to be?

I'm sure all games developers have to compromise their initial vision to keep it in line with what the hardware can offer. It's only common sense that they start out with what they would love to achieve, and then have to scale it back to what is actually possible. You could just as easily ask why, as a gamer, you would want the game to be restricted to the tiniest fraction of the gaming community and not make any money for the people behind it.

Also, if the PS3 is the only console that can deliver this thing, how is it that not one single multi-platform game looks better on the PS3, and in several cases looks worse?

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I had the exact same problem with my Wii connection that SG5 is describing. By the way dude, did you find that tape?

--------------------

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The servers for Mario Strikers have been up and down all week, so that could be Silverginger's problem. Usually if it's a server fault, though, the error code will begin with a six, I think, and say something like 'error getting stats'. There's speculation that the only reason we got Mario Strikers - and therefore online play - before the US is so Nintendo could beta test their online wifi service for the Wii. Still, when it works (and it's getting better) it's rather brilliant. Frantic as fuck. People have already figured out ways to achieve cheap wins - like using the same character's same special move to score the same fucking goal over and over and over again - but when you figure out how to deal with such cheap tactics, and go on to defeat the players that perpetually use them, it's incredibly satisfying.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually I had problems with mine a couple of times where it inexplicably wouldn't connect to my gateway until i cycled the power on both the gateway and the Wii, then it would pick it up again.

But... The thing is, It downloaded the update patch thing absolutely fine with no problem's whatsoever so it is clearly connecting to the internet but when I then try to sign the agreement that allows me to use the internet it tries to connect and then says it can't form a connection.

I don't know why it says this when it has just formed a connection. Why would Shigeru Miyamoto lie to me?

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:

Also, if the PS3 is the only console that can deliver this thing, how is it that not one single multi-platform game looks better on the PS3, and in several cases looks worse?

I think the answer to that is fairly obvious: simply that these games are currently being developed for the 360, which developers say is nice and easy to code and optimise for as it's just like a PC, and then they're ported to the PS3 as more of an afterthought rather than spend the money on developing and optimising a version of the game for that console. Look at games which are developed solely for the PS3 which in some respects is still very new technology compared to the 360 and certainly the depths of its abilities are yet to be truly understood, games like Gran Turismo HD and the graphics are so much better than things you see on the 360. Plus it's an indisputable fact that blu-ray currently has masses more capacity than any other format, meaning that games can be much larger over a single disk.

But then you know all this. It's mostly a case of brand loyalty that makes people want to put down another console.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Also I had the exact same problem with my Wii connection that SG5 is describing. By the way dude, did you find that tape?

I haven't entirely looked for the tape yet. So no. But I shall look.
Nathan Bleak
quote:
But then you know all this. It's mostly a case of brand loyalty that makes people want to put down another console.

Actually, it's more likely to be a kind of defensive reaction to buyer's remorse, than brand loyalty. But whatever. Anyway. I thought the word on Blu-Ray was that although it had masses and masses of storage, the laser was so slow that they wound up putting entire games on the disc several times over to keep the load times down.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
one day I'm sure the Ps3 will be worth it. At the moment, one tech demo isn't enough to justify it, especially as the actual games coming out at the moment for the ps3 (according to internet sources) look and feel worse than those coming out for the xbox.

Personally though, I still find the DS to be the most compelling system. But that's just like a kiddie fisher price version of a games console.

Nathan Bleak
Why so much more bitter about that fisher-price comment than anything else I've ever said?

--------------------

Ringo

I know that the load times for games on blu ray disk are greater than those on other media (what media is the 360 out of interest, is it dvd-rom?) but I hadn't heard anything about having to write the game several times. I'm not sure how that would speed up access times to be honest. Sounds a bit unlikely. I could be wrong I suppose.

I don't know why buyer remorse needs to come into it. I'm sure most people if they wanted to, could scrape together enough to buy whichever console they want. I think it's just good that we've got a lot of choice out there.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
one day I'm sure the Ps3 will be worth it. At the moment, one tech demo isn't enough to justify it, especially as the actual games coming out at the moment for the ps3 (according to internet sources) look and feel worse than those coming out for the xbox.

It depends on what you want out of it really. Consoles now are far more than mere games machines. The PS3 can be turned into a fully fledged desktop PC if you felt like it, it plays the latest blu-ray films, you can go online, etc etc etc. And for other consoles too, there's more to them than just the games. There are a lot of really interesting looking games set to come out for PS3 over the next 6 months and I'm sure it'll be a long time before we see the potential fully exploited from either the 360 or the PS3. But it does seem to be the case that software developers are mostly starting to say that the PS3 has considerably greater potential. How much of that is marketting fluff remains to be seen.

Not that it matters really. The Xbox was technically superior to the PS2, and yet for my money the PS2 was the better gaming console because of the titles available for it and the controllers which were better in my opinion.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
sure man, and if it didn't cost twice as much as an xbox, the ps3 would be a viable photo viewer / DVD player / internet device.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:03: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
anything's better than the 360. The drive on that thing is loud as fuck.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sure man, and if it didn't cost twice as much as an xbox, the ps3 would be a viable photo viewer / DVD player / internet device.

I suppose if you want to compare like with like (ish), you'd have to price the PS3 against an Xbox 360 with HD-DVD drive. From what I remember, there's not much in it.

ETA: Here's a picture:

PICTURE

[ 31.05.2007, 10:15: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like most people, I'm looking forward to getting a PS3 in two or three years time when it's £200 and has lots of games. That is, if it hasn't completely tanked by then. Sony's barely managing to sell 9,000 of them each week in Japan (compared to 160,000 DSs and 50,000 Wiis) so things are looking pretty bleak. I don't think any console in the history of video games has ever come back from such a slow start to 'win'. Even the Gamecube was doing better at this point in its life. I just hope it manages to struggle on long enough for Ico 3 to come out.

God, I sound like such a fucking boy. Ignore me.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:39: Message edited by: Fionnula the Cooler ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
quote:

I suppose if you want to compare like with like (ish), you'd have to price the PS3 against an Xbox 360 with HD-DVD drive. From what I remember, there's not much in it.

ETA: Here's a picture:

PICTURE

But again, these hi def video formats aren't yet worth it. At the moment, most people I'm sure would rather pay less and do without. I'm with mcandrew. Give it a few years.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:23: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But again, these hi def video formats aren't yet worth it. At the moment, most people I'm sure would rather pay less and do without. I'm with mcandrew. Give it a few years.

No, I totally agree. I was just saying that the BluRay drive accounts for a fair proportion of the PS3's cost. In fact a standlone BluRay Player costs about £600 as far as I can tell.

Personally, I don't think I'll bother with either until The Force Unleashed comes out.

Wii for stupid games
PC for proper games
Media Centre PC for emulators

[ 31.05.2007, 10:39: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I still sometimes build my dream PC on dabs, get quite close to buying it with spread payments, wake up, and then decide to leave it six months until the next Nvidia card either comes out, or six months later, becomes affordable. By the time it's affordable, the next card is a month away so you're like, you know, maybe I'll hang on for that. Already Nvidia is talking about the 9 series. I held off on the 7, thought I'll really go for an 8, but now that's supposed to be a bit underwhelming yet the 9 is going to be like 3x as powerful as the 8. Meanwhile dual-core will probably be erased altogher as 16 core intel chips go on sale for £10,000.

There's always ATi i suppose but really, who knows about that shit.

[ 31.05.2007, 10:49: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
I still sometimes build my dream PC on dabs, get quite close to buying it with spread payments, wake up, and then decide to leave it six months until the next Nvidia card either comes out, or six months later, becomes affordable.

Yeah, I did that for ages, but finally plumped for a cheap Core2Duo (easily overclockable to 3.5Ghz) and an affordable 8600GTS. It's probably not going to last me years and years, but the card was only £100 and it can play everything I've thrown at it, maxed out, which is a nice change from the Athlon XP + 6600GT I had before.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I've got an Athlon XP + 6660GT too. It started to show it's age at F.E.A.R, and even HL2 had to be run without hardly any AA. Rather than buying a new PC, I just put it in a shiny new case and skinned the desktop.
MiscellaneousFiles

Yeah, I'm catching up with the last couple of years worth of games at the moment. Good times.
Nathan Bleak
Haven't used the PC for games for months. It was starting to get a bit creaky with Oblivion, and I realised that if I didn't get a new top-end PC I could probably quite easily afford to get married. So I got the 360 instead. The best thing is not having to tinker with the settings. That used to really piss me off. Just constantly tweaking games to see just how much you could get out of them. So anyway. These days the PC is just a big wank generator.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleak, why are you getting married if you've got a PC and a 360?

--------------------
sweet

Ringo

I must say, this new Tomb Raider game is everything it should be and more. Absolutely amazing game. The level design is just absolutely breathtaking.
Ringo

I’m really loving Tomb Raider Anniversary a lot right now. I was saying to Hippy last night on MSN, every now and then you come across a game and right from the first level you just know it’s something special. Like Half-Life, Resident Evil 4, and of course the original Tomb Raider. I can tell it’s a great game because it’s all I can think about today, and I’m itching to get home to play it again. I haven’t felt like that about a game in ages.

Probably some of it is nostalgia. I loved the original Tomb Raider and spent hours and hours playing it. They’ve absolutely hit the sweet spot in terms of replicating and expanding upon everything that made the original brilliant, and cutting everything that made it frustrating. So now, rather than the blocky grid system of movement, Lara has the fluid and intuitive control system she had in Legend, which makes exploring the massive levels an absolute joy it itself. And they are massive, much much bigger than those in the original game, and the puzzles much more complex.

One thing I didn’t like about Legend which I though kind of spoiled it, was the fact you had some annoying chap on the radio all the time telling you what to do and whatnot. Thankfully there’s none of that in Anniversary. You feel completely alone and isolated. The soundtrack helps, with it’s minimalist creeping score just setting an edge to the environments. There’s almost no music at all as you’re exploring, which really adds to the atmosphere.

The graphics, considering it’s a PS2 game, are really very impressive. It’s got to be one of the best looking PS2 game I’ve seen. The draw distance is great, and the textures look clean and sharp. It looks perhaps a bit flatter than Legend did on the 360, but that’s hardly surprising. There are lots of nice little graphical touches, like Lara’s clothes getting wet when she goes in water, then slowly drying out.

I’m not terribly far through the game so can’t really give a proper summary of it, but if it continues as well as it’s started, this could well be right up there alongside some of the best games I’ve played.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
looks kind of crappy.
Ringo

So does your face
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:

I managed to sort out my wii to go online yesterday!

What I did was thusly...

go start>run>cmd then type ipconfig/all

Write down the two dns servers you have. You then go into the connection settings on the wii, go to advanced settings on your wireless, scroll right twice and then enter the two dns server addresses into the boxes there.

This didn't work for me however, but then I found another site that said if you switch them around so the second one goes in the first box and vice versa it should sort it out and miraculously it now works.

I am now going to have to buy mario strikers though as I got bored of being connected to the internet through the wii in about 37 seconds without any games to play.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I've put an order in for Mario Strikers. And Forza 2. And pre-ordered Halo3. And ordered Ouendan 2. And downloaded the complete Sam & Max series. Fans of Phoenix Wright should keep an eye on imports because there are rumours of an English translation being available in in the Japanese release of #3.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
also - bomberman on xbox live looks good.

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+