Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 77)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Guitar Hero: Metallica at the weekend. It's pretty good. Nothing really new over World Tour, except the addition of a star meter so you can see how many stars your performance is earning as you play through each track, and unlocking venues in career mode is done by accumulating stars rather than the number of individual songs completed. But otherwise it's just World Tour with lots of Metallica tracks. Ones which appear in previous titles have been rejigged as well to give a more consistent difficulty level, which seems to be an improvement over the previous games and sits somewhere between WT's disappointingly easy, and the brutal difficulty of GH3.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase though as it's kind of lacking in playable content compared to previous games, it might be worth waiting until the price comes down a bit, unless you're a massive Metallica fan in which case you'll probably enjoy all the additional content.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a new xbox this weekend so I'm back in the game. Hoorah.

After taking mine apart and tinkering with it, it went from two red lights error which apparently means overheating (even though it wasn't hot) to one red light and the one red light error is covered by the extended three year warranty but as I've taken it apart I've voided my warranty which is annoying.

Strangely enough though, I discovered that if I don't plug the lead in that connects the old xbox to the TV it doesn't give the error and seems to run fine (although obviously I can't check it as it isn't plugged into a TV), but that would suggest that if someone knew what they were doing it would be fairly easy to fix.

I may pick up GH:Metallica as I do love GH games.

Ringo

Apparently there's a new difficulty level for the drum tracks where you get to use a double kick pedal.

You should send your borked xbox to me. I might be able to fix it. I'll need to get one soon anyway for Forza 3.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really do the drumming very well with one bass pedal so that would suck for me. I'm quite good at the top drums and cymbals just awful at the kick pedal as well. I wish there was a way of disabling that.
Ringo

So do you want me to email you the address to send your xbox to?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Well, I was planning on fixing it myself really and then selling it. I need money for getting drunk or something. Or for nappies. One of the two.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
I can't really do the drumming very well with one bass pedal so that would suck for me. I'm quite good at the top drums and cymbals just awful at the kick pedal as well. I wish there was a way of disabling that.

What difficulty are you playing on? With drums I really had to start at the beginning - played about half the RB1 tour on Easy, then on medium, then hard and now working through things on Expert. I don't know how the difficulties differ in GH:WT, but in RB there's definitely a sense of adding more in as you get used to things and change difficulty level.

Also! Does this mean that for once I'm better than you at a computer game related activity?

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I played a few songs on medium and then went straight onto a mixture of hard and expert.

Even on medium though, I can't build up a good streak as most of the time I don't hit the bass pedal and I don't quite understand why.

Maybe it's broken or maybe I suck but because I'm not good at it straight away, I don't enjoy it and it's not worth doing.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not good at it straight away.

Ha! In your face! Now you know what it's like to be a normal person.

Anyway. It sounds like you just need to work your way up a little slower. Everyone seems to struggle with working the bass pedal in at first. It's to do with separating it from what your hands are doing, but once it clicks you'll wonder what you found so difficult.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eetsa called Muscle Memory.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Thorn Davis

I always thought Muscle Memory was something slightly different - where your hands/ arms/ whatever 'remember' chord shapes or what have you, without you having to consciously control them. I think what CiH is probably having problems with is (the lack of) what drummers refer to as limb independence. Or maybe its both. Or maybe he's just a wretched spastic with no sense of rhythm.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I think the main problem is that the setlist on GH:WT is so awful that I have very little incentive to play through the career on easy then medium etc. There are about 15 good songs then the rest is pretty much gash.

And I'm a flailing spaz with no sense of rhythm.

Thorn Davis

quote:
I think the main problem is that the setlist on GH:WT is so awful that I have very little incentive to play through the career on easy then medium etc. There are about 15 good songs then the rest is pretty much gash.

You should give it a try, still. I found with drums that the songs I enjoyed playing were very rarely the same as songs that I actually liked. A song like 'You Oughta Know' is something that I'd never, ever put on a CD player but on Expert it's immensely satisfying to play. Conversely, when it comes to playing something I love, like Black Sunshine, I may as well just ask someone to come and punch me repeatedly in the calf until I can no longer walk, for all the pleasure it gives me.
Thorn Davis

Also, you'll be proud to know that I used my two weeks off to learn how to play plastic bass on Expert. Not very well, I'll grant you, but I was finishing songs with three stars, which I thought would never happen.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I'm looking to get Rock Band 2 I think, but that never seems to be in the second hand shop so I might have to get it for full price which is madness really.
Thorn Davis

There's quite a bit of crossover on the set-lists for the two games, but Rock band has got some really fantastic DLC available. It also works into the game suprisingly well. It's not just a separate list of songs to work your way through - anything you buy in the store you get to play in the challenges and in the main tour.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I suppose I could pick up RB for about a score. Do you have any idea if there is much action online with that at the moment or has it all shifted to RB2?
Thorn Davis

I don't know. I never really played either of them online.

If you get the first one you can still play all the DLC that's available, and it will work in Rock Band 2 if you decide to get that. Also, for £5 you can export all but three of the RB1 songs to the hard drive, and then flog the game to someone else, which is what I did.

Thorn Davis

Bought Prototype on Saturday, kind of on a whim. Been having absolutely fantastic fun with it. Essentially it's a remake of Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, but with way more gore, and a couple of extra powers. Splendidly entertaining in a 14-year-old-gurgling-in-delight kind of way.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, Gemcraft will FUCK YOUR ASS. I spent 8 hours one sunday afternoon playing that until I started to get dizzy and sick. How far have you got, Mixz?

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only up to about level 20 at the moment. Had a real struggle (10+ attempts) with one particular level a couple of days ago, and subsequently discovered the skills tab on the map. Let's just say that made things a bit more manageable.

I've played a few of these tower defense games before, but Gemcraft is just in a different league. Totally addictive. My ass has indeed been fucked sore by this game.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
They've made a sequel (or perhaps a prequel, I can't remember) to gemcraft which is meant to be good.

I don't really get on very well with tower defense games. I'm not sure why as I like most other game types, I just don't enjoy those much.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
I'm only up to about level 20 at the moment. Had a real struggle (10+ attempts) with one particular level a couple of days ago, and subsequently discovered the skills tab on the map. Let's just say that made things a bit more manageable.

Have you worked out the importance of the colours yet? On some levels you'll be pounding them to discover that you'll have 10 really fast green things, so your yellows and blues, especially greens do jaff-all damage. You've got to learn the waves of the creatures too. AND STACK.

^ Tower of awesome

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Have you worked out the importance of the colours yet? On some levels you'll be pounding them to discover that you'll have 10 really fast green things, so your yellows and blues, especially greens do jaff-all damage. You've got to learn the waves of the creatures too. AND STACK.

Yes! I've got over the initial drive to try and make a single super-powerful gem. That technique didn't serve me too well. Is there anything more powerful than the circular gem? I tried combining a couple of them the other day, but they disappointingly made just another circular gem. I was hoping for a magickal sphere of ultimate desctructliness, but all I got was this lousy round gem. Anyway, yes, I'm getting to grips with the colour choice conundrum.

When you say stack...?

New Way Of Decay

Stack = build the towers in fat ass clusters. Get the optimum gem amount right. You can upgrade the gems endlessly but they still have a cool down for shots meaning large gems aren't necessarily as good as lots of towers. Experiment with that.

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
And obviously build trenches around these clusters of towers.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Gem Bombs are more powerful that you would expect them to be.
MiscellaneousFiles

Oh yes, I've just dealt with a level that absolutely demanded using loads of towers. It was perfectly paced and I only just managed to complete it first time.

God, I'm getting a bit fidgety just thinking about this game. Three hours until I can get my next fix. Three long hours...

Someone needs to make a Ghostzilla-style grey and white version of this game.

New Way Of Decay

Hey Misc! Thanks for the advice about that phone site. I have a touch screen Nokia 5800 for free. Also, my X Box elite arrives tomorrow! On top of that, I've just downloaded gemcraft to the phone, so I can play it on the train. N1!

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

That isn't an advertisement, that actually happened.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Hey Misc! Thanks for the advice about that phone site. I have a touch screen Nokia 5800 for free. Also, my X Box elite arrives tomorrow! On top of that, I've just downloaded gemcraft to the phone, so I can play it on the train. N1!

I have shame you went down Microsoft Way, but no regard, let me issue to you: "Welcomes to nex-jen HD Gaming Revverlution!"

What OS does your telephone run?
I can has gemcraft on mah cell?!

New Way Of Decay

Symbian.

I don't know what your phone does, but gemcraft doesn't work properly on mine, which is a shame. I'll update the flash lite and see what happens.

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You flaming fags!

--------------------
sweet

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Sybian.

I saw some videos of that. The girls certainly looked like they were enjoying it.

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+