Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » What the fuck is going on? (Page 10)

This topic is comprised of pages: 14 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Author Topic: What the fuck is going on?
schism
Can I borrow your underpants for ten minutes ?
 - posted      Profile for schism           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganesh:
True, but, as Stoatie says over on Barbelith, "paralysing the transport network" is hardly the threat they seem to think it is.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Are London workers supposed to shake in fear, going "Fuck! I might have to stay at home on Friday, instead of going into work. Fuck! This is the one thing I didn't want to happen!"
lol!

I stupidly pointed out that my moped got me to work quickly and in relative safety today so people should stop taking the piss out of me.

No I'm one of the last in the office as I won't be struggling home and I've been elected to be one of the first in tomorrow as I won't struggle in.

Now everyone's taking the piss.

--------------------
When I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganesh:
London's pretty hard to terrify.

That's very gung ho, but how many cities are thought to be easy to terrify? Even New York, with it's hysterical "Oh MY GODDDDD!" reaction to everything remained fantastically cool and composed during 9/11. It's not like they had traffic jams of pick-ups laden with belongings fleeing the city.

No, the point is to disrupt. If it takes four hours to book into a flight to America or Israel then the terrorists have done a great job. If we have to pour billions into an ID Card scheme which pisses us all off, top value too.

In places like Iraq, it makes sense to kill. There's barely any infrastructure worth sabotaging. Here, take your pick.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
That's very gung ho, but how many cities are thought to be easy to terrify?

Paris. Any excuse and they'll be sobbing into their frogs legs.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
From the *BBC
quote:
• The officer in charge of policing the G8 summit said many of the 1,500 Metropolitan Police officers in Scotland would be urgently redeployed to London
This worries me. Could it be part of a bigger plan?
Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
 - posted      Profile for Ganesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's very gung ho, but how many cities are thought to be easy to terrify? Even New York, with it's hysterical "Oh MY GODDDDD!" reaction to everything remained fantastically cool and composed during 9/11. It's not like they had traffic jams of pick-ups laden with belongings fleeing the city.

I certainly wasn't silently adding "... and other cities are big shitey-arsed poofs". It's more that I've been quite impressed with what seems almost a ludicrously British attitude in several of those interviewed, a sort of eye-rolley "bloody Tube - again" thing. Over on Barbelith, they're getting concerned about whether or not they'll make it to the pub.

quote:
In places like Iraq, it makes sense to kill. There's barely any infrastructure worth sabotaging. Here, take your pick.
Well, yes, but we're also fairly well used to our infrastructures being crappy and failing us frequently. Okay, if the Tube and bus services were unusable for weeks on end, it'd be truly disruptive. Otherwise, I think it'll concern people for a short while, then they'll just get on with it.

[ 07.07.2005, 10:39: Message edited by: Ganesh ]

Vanilla Online Persona
'Please Flush'
 - posted      Profile for Vanilla Online Persona           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guardian:

1503 That news conference has been delayed. But we are hearing that Victoria, Euston and Paddington stations have re-opened this afternoon. St Pancras and Liverpool Street could also reopen soon. The only station likely to remain shut before tonight's rush-hour is the non-suburban (ie - Intercity) bit of King's Cross. The tube, of course, remains completely closed.

That's very impressive. Good on ya Lahndahn.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
quote:
That's very gung ho, but how many cities are thought to be easy to terrify?

Paris. Any excuse and they'll be sobbing into their frogs legs.
Is that the Paris that spent most of World War One within easy range of German artillery? The one where you could get a taxi to drive you out to the front line?
The Stoat
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for The Stoat           Edit/Delete Post 
Over on Barbelith, they're getting concerned about whether or not they'll make it to the pub.

As the man said, they'll never destroy our way of life...

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
email from work:

We have been advised by the police that Cardiff Central Train Station has been closed due to a suspicious vehicle parked in the car park next to the station.

Their advice is that all employees should remain in [name of office building which is directly opposite station] and to stay away from the front windows facing the station and pull down the blinds on these windows.

We will advise you when the police have dealt with the situation and you are able to leave.

The Stoat
TMO Member
God, talk about emotive reporting... Paddick's giving this news conference, right, and the question "are there any children among the fatalities?" just came up. And I'm guessing it was more for red-top newsy reasons than out of genuine concern. I'm surprised he didn't ask if there were any tots. Tragic ones, preferably.
Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
"Were there any photogenic tragic tots?"
rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
email from work:
stay away from the front windows facing the station and pull down the blinds on these windows.

How can you do both?
The Stoat
TMO Member
Paddick's the only official-talking-dude I've seen all day who hasn't made me want to kick my telly in.

Having said that, his competition was Bush, Blair and Livingstone (for whom I reserve a special contempt because he USED to be cool...) so he doesn't have to try too hard...

The Stoat
TMO Member
"unknown number" of fatalities on the bus... added to the 33 confirmed, this really unpleasantly seems to confirm what I've heard from a friend "whose mate works at RLH"...
The Stoat
TMO Member
Although the BBC news guy just said "at least 33 have been dyed"... at least I THINK that's what he said...
Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
quote:
Originally posted by The Stoat:
Although the BBC news guy just said "at least 33 have been dyed"... at least I THINK that's what he said...

Glad I'm not the only one to have heard this.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
For the sake of wanting a shout out:

Sky - you out there ? (Fish is in Africa right ?)
Bailey - you out there ?

Teflon ?

All other London based peeps ?

If anyone knows that anyone else is safe could they just pop a quick note on this thread and let us know please.

Thanks

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw the 33 thing. And there are definitely more from the bus.

Also a man ay apress conference said that the G8 plods were staying up there and they were going to get in spares from the countryside around london.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
Yeah, I saw the 33 thing. And there are definitely more from the bus.

Also a man ay apress conference said that the G8 plods were staying up there and they were going to get in spares from the countryside around london.

How's your boyfriend? He must be pretty shaken up.
turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any idea when the mobile phone networks will be working again? I've been trying to call my boss all day, who is staying in central London, but I can't get through.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

The Stoat
TMO Member
Mobiles? Keep trying. Every now and then I manage to get a call that works. A couple of hours ago there was about ten minutes when it all worked fine.

...although I guess if EVERYONE keeps trying it'll just keep it fucked...

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a meeting booked tomorrow morning with the construction company who are working on the Kings Cross redevelopment. Understandably they've cancelled as they're (quote) "absolutely shitting it about their people's safety on site".

Another contact, who's office is right above Aldgate tube station, reckons that the death count from that that incident alone could reach forty plus. [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

The Stoat
TMO Member
They're now grilling some guy on why Andy Trotter couldn't give a definite answer on whether this was all over...

...I mean, WTF? How's he supposed to know? That's an unfair question, if you ask me.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rooster:
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
email from work:
stay away from the front windows facing the station and pull down the blinds on these windows.

How can you do both?
Maybe it's a trap..?

--------------------
sweet

The Stoat
TMO Member
Are you sure there wasn't a "not necessarily in that order" in the small print?
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, forum. What would you tell two curious six-year-olds, with startlingly overactive imaginations, about what happened today?

--------------------
sweet

Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post 
Darryn, I heard from bailey earlier. She is okay, stuck at work, but okay.
Tom Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tom Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Hey, forum. What would you tell two curious six-year-olds, with startlingly overactive imaginations, about what happened today?

Shit exploded killing some people but were still gonna fix the starvation problem in Africa, tube prices will skyrocket to pay for damage caused and the drop off in custom, london buses will be redesigned to look more like the batmobile and the economy has gone to shit. Who fancies a walk in Hyde park followed by Mcdonalds and ice cream?

--------------------
So bad its good

Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
quote:

Read them Bush's speech? Nahh, I think they'd find that patronising.
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How about, Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."
??

That should shut them up for a while.

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
PIck someone you'd be fairly comfortable with them hating (the Swiss, for example) and tell them it was all their fault.

Actually, I have no idea. Good luck man [Frown]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm just going to go home and veg out in front of a DVD to take my mind off it all. Maybe watch Speed or something.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have no idea, but I suppose you have to tell them the truth, that sometimes people fight for what they believe in in a cowardly way and when they do they make stuff like this happen, but it's rare and the people that do these things get caught and punished.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
... and the people that do these things get caught and punished.

Or, failing that, random nations get 'regime-changed' to fuck.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're all ok.

This topic is comprised of pages: 14 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+