Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 51)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
then it's bed time.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rainbow Six 2 was brilliant when we played against these two guys who were about as good as us. We went about six rounds; each time being tense enough to make it exciting, but never so much so that victory seemed impossible. Some excellent moments there including finding Benway cowering under the stairs gibbering into the mic about how he was too scared to move and the last couple of minutes of one round where Benway said "Let's just go out the front door, guns blazing like Billy the Kid!" We flung open the door, two shots rang out and we were both dead. As Benway pointed out, it really was just like Billy the Kid.

I think that was the same evening where Benway was gripped by an astonishing bout of energy drink mania that manifested itself in six minutes of hysterical laughter barrelling out of the comms channel, punctuated by gasps of "Help me I can't stop."

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh [Smile]

Good times.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I do want to be a part of that.

Plus I've got to grudgingly admit that a lot of games seem to look nicer and run better on the 360.

I had high hopes for Haze but that seems to be getting something of a panning in its reviews which is kind of the final straw really. I still love my PS3 with its blu ray support, its general greatness, and some of the exclusives. But I feel like I'm missing out a little bit on the multiplayer experience, which is what next gen gaming is all about really

Kanye West
TMO Member
Killzone 2 might be alright.
Kanye West
TMO Member
it's babies or games these days eh.
Kanye West
TMO Member
i'm more into games. they can't go as badly wrong as babies.
Ringo

Yeah, at least if you get a game wrong it's just mildly embarrassing.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Kate and I finished Oblivion the other night which was fun. I felt a bit disappointed in the ending. In fact probably the last 3 or 4 hours I wasn't very impressed with, but overall it was very good. (First game I've got 1000 Gamer points on!)

So, yesterday we tried to move onto Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

I was really looking forward to this as we'd both really enjoyed the first Splinter Cell on the gamecube but I found it incredibly frustrating.

I haven't played the first one for about 3 years or so, and so can't remember controls, but I assumed there would be some sort of tutorial to get you used to things, as I know in the first one there was a massive long obstacle course to teach you movement and then people wandering around to teach you stealth and stuff.

However this one - You go to training and it just says "There is this police man walking around, you have all your weapons but you can't kill him and he can't get detected" and you're left to go for it. No explanation as to what button does that. no explanation as to which of your weapons could be used to knock someone else rather than kill them. Bleh.

Then after doing these and learning nothing, into the game which again teaches you nothing and just assumed you know what you're doing.

I don't want to have to read instructions, I want the game to tell me how to do the basic things which this has done poorly.

PLUS! THE BIGGEST PROBLEM....

Obviously you're learning how to play with no instruction as to what to do and so you get detected and killed a lot and go back to the start of the mission. The start of the mission that has a cutscene. A CUT SCENE THAT YOU CANNOT FUCKING SKIP!

Why the hell has that been put in. I really don't want to watch the same thing over and over again. So, that got about 45 minutes play time and I was getting too frustrated with it so had to stop.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I didn't make much progress with Double Agent. I loved the first and third games in the series, but Double Agent was pretty boring, and I remember having the same frustration with the cut scene. You can save anywhere, though, so if you want to avoid having to sit through that all the time you can save immediately after the cinematic and just reload that save. I think it affects your mission rating, though, if you use too many saves.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played three new games this weekend, all on PC:

Trials 2
A maddening physics-based motorbike game. It's a 2D game with 3D graphics. You use the left stick to control the rider's balance, and the analogue triggers to accelerate and brake. I imagine it can be played without a gamepad, but I found the 360 controller works perfectly. It's hugely addictive - so much so that after an hour with the demo, I paid the $9.99 (17p) for the full game which features 50+ tracks, plus an online scoreboard that tells you your worldwide rank after each race. After a few hours of frustration/fun, my ranking improved from the 6,000s to the 1,900s. Still got a way to go...

Race Driver GRID
The latest incarnation of the TOCA series. The graphics have been overhauled to bring it up to date with recent console releases, presumably using the same engine as the unfortunately titled Colin McRae DIRT. With graphics settings turned up, it looks pretty amazing. I've had an aversion to arcadey driving games recently, favouring sims like rFactor, GTR2 and GT Legends, but I'm warming to GRID. It's instantly accessible, fun to drive, and offers a wide range of driving disciplines from boring US muscle cars to Japanese 'togue' and good old fashioned touring cars. Most impressively the licensed cars can actually be crashed and realistically damaged. There's a Prince of Persia style rewind feature that can be used to undo a silly mistake. This helps keep the gameplay fun, but feels a bit like cheating, even though it can only be used a certain number of times in each race. It's disabled entirely on the Pro difficulty mode. Seems like there's a lot of content to explore, as with DIRT.

Lego Indiana Jones
I only briefly dipped in to this one, but from what I've seen so far, it's exactly what you would expect from the makers of Lego Star Wars. The developers are obviously real fans of the franchise. The game feels highly polished and despite the simple gameplay, it's a huge amount of fun. I'm planning to hook up another gamepad at some point, to try the co-op mode with Kellifer. Also looking forward to the forthcoming Lego Batman game.

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Japanese 'togue'

Sorry... what?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - it seems I spelt 'touge' incorrectly.

[Embarrassed]

[ 09.06.2008, 05:38: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
I played Grid for a few hours over the weekend as well. Liked it, certainly seemed refreshing after the joyless braking simulator that Forza 2 eventually became.

Also played some COD. Getting into that more and more.

MiscellaneousFiles

I must remember to give COD4 another go. The opening scene was pretty exhilarating, but for some reason I don't think I've played the game since.
Kanye West
TMO Member
it's good. multiplayer is quite exciting in a 'war is hell' kind of way. Bullets flying everywhere, constant air strikes, gunships. Also a good levelling up / XP system that keeps you achieving.
Kanye West
TMO Member
a world away from the cleanliness of halo.
Ringo

quote:
Sorry - it seems I spelt 'touge' incorrectly.

[Embarrassed]

Well, you used it incorrectly too which was more my point. Touge is a word referring to Japanese mountain passes.
MiscellaneousFiles

Please forgive my ignorance of the correct usage. What I meant to say was 'Japanese Touge Racing'

Just to round out my knowledge of the subject, could you let me know how to correctly pronounce the word 'touge' ?

Ringo

Sorry, I wasn't having a dig, it's just a misconception that the word 'touge' refers to cars or a specific type or racing. It's simply a word for the mountain passes in Japan.

It's pronounced 'toe gay' although I think 'two gay' is also acceptable.

Kanye West
TMO Member
I'm very tired today.

[ 09.06.2008, 07:44: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
I'm very tired today.

Perhaps you should get some boost?
Kanye West
TMO Member
I did consider that when I woke up, but I dont wan't to start substituting sleep and wellbeing with energy drinks.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thrown up any more blood? Or is that just online persona schtick?
Kanye West
TMO Member
I coughed it up, not threw it up. And yeah, I did over the weekend.
ralph

and the doctor said???
Kanye West
TMO Member
[Confused]

it's just a cold, I'm not going to go to the doctors.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
If I went to the doctor every time I coughed up blood or when I wiped my arse the toilet paper came out red or all my moles suddenly started bleeding at the same time I'd have no time to play computer games ralph.

There are some things that you just need to man up and get over.

[ 09.06.2008, 08:41: Message edited by: Cherry In Hove ]

ralph

Coughing up blood is not normal, dude. You should have that looked at...
ralph

Well it's not.
ralph

tough room
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's like..... What happened?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

MiscellaneousFiles

Viva Piņata
WTF?!?!?

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Viva Piņata
WTF?!?!?

I tried that and it was quite enjoyable up until the time I'd had to get like the 800th set of worms to mate through the exact same mini game and I got bored. I might try it again one day as Kanye West claims it is good.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had a brief flirtation with Viva Pinata. It was ok for a bit but then I decided to start a produce farm - which was *also* ok for a bit, until I found that some of the animals I needed weren't available / unlocked yet. I couldn't be bothered with yet more repetitive gameplay just to unlock the animals so I kind of abandoned it after 5 days or so. (Real life days, not game days). Maybe I'll go back in armed with some cheat codes, but that's generally a last resort kind of thing for me, and I don't know if I'm ready to say that the game is basically dead. I'm hoping I'll get my lust for it back but that never really happens does it? You either get sucked into a game or you don't.

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+